A Level Results 2018
Excellent results for St George’s students are a fitting tribute to the outgoing Head of Sixth Form (August 2018).
What better way for an outgoing Head of Sixth Form to leave on a high than to see her students’ hard work wonderfully rewarded through excellent A Level results! With the anxious wait finally over, the picture that emerged at St George’s Weybridge was one where over 50% of all papers had been awarded an A* or A grade – a figure that increases to 83% awarded A* to B grades.
(Mandy Smith with top performer, Demi)
“This Upper Sixth year were among the best students I’ve ever had the privilege to look after,” explained a delighted Mandy Smith, who is leaving her role of Head of Sixth Form. “They truly deserve their excellent results.”
All students and their parents were invited in to a celebration Bucks Fizz breakfast.
The 2018 highlights include:
- A*-A 53% and A*-B 83%.
- 38 students gained straight A*/A grades, including eight who achieved four A Levels all at A*/A.
- The students achieved, on average, 375 UCAS points, which translates into approximately one A* and two A grades at A level.
- All nine Lower Sixth students taking the Maths A Level a year early achieved an A*.
- Head Girl Ellie was awarded A* in Biology, Chemistry and Maths – she has already started her course in Neurobiology at Harvard.
- Head Boy Demi achieving A*s in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and the EPQ. He is heading up to Churchill College, Cambridge to read Engineering.
- Also heading to Cambridge are Ethan, reading Computer Science, and Alex and Harry, both of whom will be reading Natural Sciences.
- All three students applying to read Medicine have made the grade, with Matt going to Bristol, and Meg and Sarah to Birmingham.
- Following in the Head Girl’s footsteps to study abroad will be Alastair and Skyla, both of whom have opted to attend Dutch universities.
- Six students – Issy, Kim, Max, Maisie-Mae, Ella and Lucy – are all following their creative passions by embarking on Art Foundation courses, while Shane and Marcus will respectively study Creative Music Production and Music & Enterprise.
- It was a big day for triplets Will, Sophie and Ella, all of whom are heading off in different directions: Will has been offered a place on the Deloitte Scholar Scheme, Sophie is off to Edinburgh to study French and Ella is going to Oxford Brookes to study Business and Psychology.
- Excellent results were achieved in the first year that St George’s has offered the Extended Project Qualification (worth half an A Level): of the 82 students who entered for the EPQ, 71% achieved A*/A and 89% A*/B. Subjects chosen ranged from ‘To what extent are classic cars a good investment’, to ‘Can the success of IKEA be attributed to its Swedish Culture’.
Headmistress Rachel Owens, said: “In line with the ‘perfectly balanced’ heart of the school, the range of subjects achieving over 50% A*/A grades goes from Art to Computer Science, English Literature to Music and Economics to both French and Spanish – to name but a few!
“It’s been a very good year and these excellent results are a tribute to both our exceptional students and our dedicated – and equally exceptional – teachers.”
Mandy Smith was in no doubt about why St George’s students had done so well: “They had a great work ethic,” she said. “They embraced their studies, took advice, knew when to ask for help, managed their time brilliantly and honestly worked to the best of their abilities.
“Equally important, they listened to our advice about the best Further Education courses for them to realise their ambitions for the next step in their education. Now they are moving on in the best possible way and I’m delighted for them.”
Overall Pass rate (A2): 100%
Percentage of Grade A* - A (A2): 53.1%
Percentage of Grade A*- B (A2): 82.9%
(Parents were also invited in for a glass of celebratory Bucks Fizz)
(Deputy Head Academic, Francesca May, Headmistress, Rachel Owens, and outgoing Head of Sixth Form, Mandy Smith)
A2 Results 2018